Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Nostalgia

Last Saturday, January 17, 2009, was a return to the alma mater where I earned my higher education, the Saint Paul University Surigao, for an invitation to the Tertiary Alumni Association Meeting. With me is batchmate Karen Alinsunod who even though didn’t have plans to attend and just happen to be there to get the requested docs from the registrar, I was able to bring her in.

As far as i can remember, 2005 was I guess my last step in the institution that I consider the foundation of who I am now. Even though I frequently pass by the SPUS compound, I just couldn’t find the time or purpose to drop by. And I terribly missed going there once again. More so when I learned that a familiar figure of the institution has returned, now SPUS President Sr. Merceditas Ang, SPC. She reminded me of my beloved boss, SNC Former President Sr. Marie Renee Javato SPC, to whom I served as a working student.

After some several attempts, the longing was finally given relief. Last Saturday was a renewed memory of acquaintances with the familiar faces of the faculty and staffs of the university. Together with Karen, I ramble around the facades and corners of the SPUS.

Devouring on the tasty bread at the canteen.

Picture with the classrooms i attended.

Karen posing at the lobby near the library and the Audio Visual Room.

Pose with the painted corner near the stairway.

Although the meeting was for another purpose, for me it seems a homecoming and the cozy welcome of my friends in the crowd made my homecoming warm. SPUS is a home to me.

Anyway, the tertiary alumni meeting was called to gauge strategies that would encourage the college alumni to actively participate in the annual homecoming and other activities of the university. This is to address the disconcerting incidence of college alumni not participating in every homecoming and other activities of SPUS because for some reason college graduates seems alienated. I was nominated for president (by Dr. Guerra and Mrs. Ariar) but I turned down the nomination in favor of being the chairman of the SNNHS Batch 98. But eventually, I was elected as Auditor together with Karen elected as representative to the College of Teacher Education.


After the tertiary alumni meeting, we personally pay a visit to SPUS President Sr. Merceditas Ang, SPC who have forgotten my face. Dean of Accountancy and Business Department Erlita Guerra accompanied me. The chit chat we had was an account of reminiscence. And i went out of the university warm-hearted and promised to visit as much as possible.


To those who feel the same nostalgia I had, tonight is very timely as SPUS organized a variety show starred by the institution’s premier talents. Tonight is the opportunity to look back and experience the Nicolanian/Paulinian spirit, whatever it is.

The variety show will run in January 22, 23, 25, at 7:30pm in SPUS Gym. Come, let’s watch!

4 comments:

veta said...

wow as always wafa japon sis Ang. Like gajud nako cja.:-)

hala,wala ko attend ani. sakto ra sab ky waya raba talent fee ihatag c mr chairman.mahimu jud ko ug model like teacher karen. unsa man teacher karen, tagbayaran kaw imu talent fee pagpose? hehehe sukta!

unsa man imu taglantaw sa taas mr.p hurmigas?hehehehe

bitaw,u two look good huh...hmmm

Anonymous said...

nangintriga pa gajud kaw venos. hehehe. ya pay bayad si karen kay debut pa nija ini.

Sister Merc, tough na madre.. hain pa kaw ton lawyer na madre. hehe

tagtan-aw ko an tubig kay basin muagas sa ako. haha

Anonymous said...

hahaha. kaluza nimo Mam Venot... bgan gajud.

Unknown said...

correction.. Sr. Ang ay hindi lang lawyer na madre.. syay isang CPA-Lawyer na madre.. oh di ba bongga nga madre.. ugsa basa nija dili lang ang imong huna-huna pati pa ang kwarta nga naa sa imong bulsa..hahahahaha.